PRIZES AND AWARDS
Li Ka Shing Prizes
In 1990, Dr. Li Ka Shing made a generous donation to the University. It was agreed that a part of the investment income earned on the donation be used to establish six prizes under the following regulations:
- The prizes shall be known as the Li Ka Shing Prizes.
- There shall be six Prizes, awarded on the basis of academic excellence, four for the PhD theses and two for the MPhil theses, for award annually in and after 2005-06.
- The Prizes shall each year be for award to graduates from within one of two broad groupings - group A, comprising PhD and MPhil graduates of the Faculties of Architecture, Arts, Business and Economics, Education, Law and Social Sciences; and group B, comprising PhD and MPhil graduates in the Faculties of Dentistry, Engineering, Medicine and Science – i.e. 2 PhD theses and 1 MPhil thesis in each Faculty group.
- The Prizes shall be in the form of gold medals (for desk display – not to be worn) and each Prize shall be awarded to one person only and may not be shared.
- The award of one or more of the Prizes shall be withheld in any year in which candidate(s) are judged to be of insufficient merit.
Award for Outstanding Research Postgraduate Student
In 2002, the Graduate School established an award to give due recognition to research postgraduate students who have submitted a thesis of exceptional quality and have demonstrated outstanding performance in other academic aspects. Students shall be nominated by the relevant Faculty Higher Degrees Committee to be considered for the award under the following regulations:
- The Award shall be known as the "Award for Outstanding Research Postgraduate Student".
- The Award shall be in the form of a certificate and book prize, and shall be recorded in the recipient’s transcript of studies.
- The criteria for the Award shall be based on the quality of the thesis and other aspects of performance pertinent to the relevant discipline to which the nominated student belongs.
- Up to ten Awards may be made each year.
- Up to four research postgraduate students may be nominated for the Award by each Faculty on the basis of the criteria set out above.